The RSPCA is a non-government community based animal welfare charity with a rich and proud history dating back to 1870. The organisation was created by the community and driven by strong local support. Without public backing the RSPCA would cease to function and without the services of the RSPCA the future for thousands of animals would look very bleak indeed. Last year alone RSPCA Victoria provided care to over 40,000 animals and our inspectors investigated over 14, 400 animal cruelty complaints.
Vision - the Five Freedoms
That all animals, great and small, are:
- Free from hunger and thirst.
- Free from discomfort.
- Free from pain, injury and disease.
- Free to express normal behaviour.
- Free from fear and distress.
The primary objectives of the RSPCA are the prevention of cruelty to animals and
animal rehabilitation by:
- Educating the community regarding the humane treatment and management of animals, and increasing public awareness of and support of animal welfare;
- Enforcing the existing laws to prevent cruelty to animals;
- Influencing the amendment or development of legislation and standards considered necessary for the protection and welfare of animals;
- Encouraging and providing a sustainable, needs based network of animal welfare services across the State, for the care, shelter, treatment, rehabilitation, and protection of animals within the capacity and strategic directions of the organisation;
- Providing relief programs to assist people within the community who are experiencing adverse circumstances, to enable them to care for or manage their animals.
To find out more about RSPCA Victoria:
General Enquiries: 03 9224 2222
Are you a Business looking to get involved: Contact Corporate Relations Coordinator, RSPCA Victoria on 03 92242536 or visit http://www.rspcavic.org/help_rspca/working_with_RSPCA_Victoria.htm for more information.
Current campaigns & media http://www.rspcavic.org/campaigns_news/publications.htm
Help animals in need, please visit us at http://www.rspcavic.org